Tuesday, March 30, 2010

I'm sorry, I just think this is Music-Power cool:

On our visit to CHOP's radiology department last week for Ellie's Upper GI, we had two nice surprises.
The second was that we weren't going to have to watch our baby strapped to a table that gets turned on its side while she screams herself hoarse during the procedure - they had a machine that moved above her, while she lay unrestrained on a table. Very cool. Results to be discussed on Friday.

The first cool surprise was this guy:
Didn't get the best picture with my phone. He's a college-aged guy with a cart of instruments. He had guitars, drums, xylophones, and shakers. He parked in the already well-outfitted waiting room for 2 hours and makes music with the kids. He sang with them, encouraged them to try various instruments, just had a ball with them. This is his thing: then he goes to another department and does the same with those kids. The kids ate it up. I ate it up. I wished we'd have brought our "active" three year-old along for the hour-long wait for the baby's procedure, that's how cool it was.
I don't know if this is standard, I don't frequent children's hospital waiting rooms, thank God, but I was just plain impressed. The children were spellbound, actively engaged, and not bugging their parents - or zoning out in front of the TV.

This goes under both the category headings "This is why you go to CHOP", and "This is why Music is invaluable".




No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails