I cruise the mommy blogs, political blogs, time-wasting blogs, etc., when I have time. Like once a month when I should be sleeping. I came across this amazing topic to get the blogger juices flowing:
Tell your 16 year-old self what you wish you'd known then.
Help a girl out.
- Well first of all, it's called hair product. Gel, hair serum, leave-in conditioner, whatever, and it will change your hair and life, in that order.
- As will chopping most of it off and getting layers. Good Lord, the massive frizz triangle you are sporting!
- The boyfriend, though a nice guy, is not the best investment. You would do better to hang with your girls more, read and write more, and be comfortable enough in your own skin not to worry about the social ramifications of calling it quits with somebody who is ingrained in your circle of friends. Stop worrying about everybody else's feelings. You've got the stones to be fine on your own.
- Read your American History book really well, because soon you will know all about the fish hook formation used in the battle of Gettysburg but you'll have no clue what was up with Korea, Vietnam, or Desert Storm.
- You laughed, but Bobko was right: turns out there is life outside of central PA.
- Star Trek is cool. Wait, you know that now. Star Wars will become cool again, too. Just wait. Those action figures under your bed? Don't take them out of the package.
- Get back to piano lessons now.
- And while you're there, learn to play without sticking out your tongue in deep concentration. In a few years a very small professor is going to pass you on the piano proficiency but embarrass the crap out of you in front of the panel.
- Take your graduation savings bonds and buy stock in Google. Or these things called mobile phones.
- You are allergic to sunscreen with PABA in it. Just a heads up for band camp.
- Speaking of, band is about to get more socially acceptable thanks to this movie American Pie that's probably not even in production yet. Not that you care how cool band is. Because band is always cool.
- Classes at G'burg college during senior year of high school = good idea. See if you can get into Music Theory I instead of the Music Fluff-n-Stuff courses that will be suggested to you.
- Because initially, you're going to suck at Music Theory in college. Here's a scary preview:
- Oh but WAIT, then you're going to meet this amazing guy who rocks at Theory and he'll offer to tutor you and...yeah ;-) well...
- Your kids will be beautiful.
What would you tell your past self?