Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Playlist Season - Story Songs, Please.

Ah, summer, time to excercise the art of the playlist.


Latest playlist attempt: Story songs.


I thought this would make an interesting and eclectic mix. Songs that tell a story, have a narrative, have a plot you could flush out in a story. Bold songs are the ones that we surprisingly enough don't have in our collection and will need to buy. This is in no way in the right order, either. Some have been omitted because I don't like them (or don't like them enough to shell out 99 cents). Some have genuinely been forgotten, and that's where I need some help. Bobby and I brainstormed, and this is what we've got.
I'd like this list to be longer; please tell me if you think of a good one I've forgotten. Some of these are debatable, too, so debate away if necessary.

Harper Valley PTA – Loretta Lynn
Cat's in the Cradle – Harry Chapin
Oh What A Night – The Four Seasons
Jack and Diane – John Cougar Mellencamp
Love Story – Taylor Swift
The Leader of the Pack – The Shangri La's
Glory Days – Bruce SpringStein
Escape (Pina Colada Song) – Rupert Homes
Sloop John B – The Beach Boys
Fast Car – Tracy Chapman
Maxwell's Silver Hammer – The Beatles
Elenor Rigby – The Beatles
Yellow Submarine – The Beatles
Boy Named Sue – Johnny Cash
Call Me Al – Paul Simon
50 Ways to Leave Your Lover – Paul Simon
All I Wanna Do (Is Make Love to You) - Heart
Young Girl – Gary Puckett

PS – I am NOT forgetting about the many quality Weird Al narrative songs; I just made him his own list ("the original, followed by his parody" format, very fun.) Genius that he is, he doesn't need room on another new list. Any other suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks for your help. ~ Meg

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Two more really good Paul Simon story songs: Duncan and America. From Bob Dylan: Tangled Up In Blue. Kind of a surreal story, but a story. Gordon Lightfoot: Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald.
I have to respect your decision to exclude Weird Al, but I still think that his original song "Biggest Ball of Twine In Minnesota" qualifies for this list in spades. ~OE

Rebecca said...

The Lighthouse's tale, and The Hand Song, and The Fox by Nickel Creek are all great songs. The Devil Went Down to Georgia by Charlie Daniel's Band. Don't Take the Girl, Tim McGraw.

Related Posts with Thumbnails